It cannot be stressed enough that there is no one set formula for a good home interior. Good, is subjective. And that is what each home should be too. If your home does not exude elements of your personality, is it really even your home?
As interior decorators, we always encourage people to explore their personal taste and style and help them achieve spaces that actually reflect who they are. This needn’t burn a hole in your pocket. Here are some simple ways to personalise your space and give it the makeover it deserves!
1. Invest in good linen and fabrics. A beautiful bedspread or tablecloth or an attractive rug can go a long way in lifting the mood of the room.
2. Incorporate prints or colours that you personally like on the accent pieces, be they lampshades or vases.
3. Nothing screams ‘personal’ the way pictures do. Add some photographs of your loved ones, of places you visited or experiences you loved and feel the personal connection to them each day.
4. Add a piece of art to your walls. This needn’t be a Hussain or a Souza (but by all means, do hang these if you like!) but something that speaks to you. The best art is not that which is critically acclaimed, but that which sparks joy in you. It could even be a painting a child made.
5. Don’t be afraid to mix and match. If your vintage curio makes you happy, place it next to that contemporary couch. It is this mix of elements that make your personality, and that must come through in your home.
There is immense joy to be found in doing up your space and then enjoying the fruits of your labour. We hope you’ll find these tips handy when you go about doing so.